Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Merry Dress


Well, I'm now 1/4 of the way through my current sewing project. Right now I'm making four colonial dresses for four delightful sisters, and having great fun doing it!

The dresses are supposed to be done by mid March, but since they were also a Christmas present I made a concept sketch of each dress and sent swatches of the fabrics for the girls to open on Christmas day. Here is my sketch (bad picture, sorry!) of the dress I just finished.




Each dress is slightly different in design, based on each girl's taste and preferences. The fabrics are in their favorite colors.



Here is the real dress, all finished! I started with this dress as this design has the least number of variations from the original pattern. Yes, it's true, I very rarely make something that isn't altered from the pattern in some way. I can't help it, it's my brain type.





Each dress will have an invisible zipper for dressing ease and a hand sewn hem.




The Merry Dress features a double ruffle on the sleeves. Of course, the dresses are greatly benefiting from (and helping to pay for) my new serger.





Criss-cross ribbon trim decorates the stomacher.




A soft, self fabric ruffle at the neckline echos the ruffle motif on the sleeves.



All done! Can't wait to get to work on the next one.

5 comments:

Tete said...

So pretty, love the fabric. Love the color combination- would be great in cheery kitchen curtains and a beautiful quilt as well.
Can you show us the inside seams and how neat they are with the new serger?
And you must post photos of the young lady wearing it later!

busymama431 said...

great work there! very pretty--i'm impressed :) i use hot glue to "sew", or staples...definitely not the seamstress in our family. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh... My dress is beautiful! I screamed with delight when I saw the picture. I cannot wait to wear it! Thanks,

Kanah Smith

The Capp Crew said...

What beautiful fabrics!

TulipGirl said...

Are we going to have to wait until each dress is completed before we get to see the concept sketches?