Thursday, April 21, 2011

An Old Fashioned Nosegay

Since February I've been hankering after flowers in the worst sort of way. When Kyle thoughtfully brought me daffodils, I feasted my eyes on them down to the last bit of green. Now that yard flowers are here, I'm indulging myself in various table and windowsill displays.


Exhibit A is a nosegay of violets, framed in their own glossy leaves. We have an abundance of these little beauties, mostly growing in an area that is supposed to be Rocks Only. However, it's difficult to kill off something which is irresistible in of itself, aside from fond associations and practical value.


That's right, practical value. Did you know that violets are edible? That makes them perfect for Flowered Ice Cubes! Wash your violets, put them in half filled ice cube trays and freeze. When they are frozen, fill the trays the rest of the way, which will trap the flowers in the middle of the cube.


"The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever.” Is 40:8

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Thanks for the info,too! xo Sue

TulipGirl said...

One of the things I feel so blessed by here in Kenya is the beauty of our garden. I know what you mean when you talk about feasting your eyes on the flowers and greenery!

Anonymous said...

That's neat, putting flowers in ice cubes!

~Noelle